D programming language popularity

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 23:04:44 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 5 November 2020 at 08:36:51 UTC, random wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 November 2020 at 06:58:31 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Ok, there are ways to AOT JVM languages. My point was, if you
> can afford to use JVM you have nice alternatives to D. Also D's
> GC will by design never be as powerful as JVM GC. In D you can
> have pointers to manual memory, etc. This restricts the GC.
>
>> [...]
>
> I never even heard of someone programming in Oberon.
>
>> [...]
>
> This is a imputation. I never said I don't care. All the things
> you mentioned are really niche. Because you somehow
> misunderstood my argument i will simplify it for you:
> - When you can live with GC you can most of the time live with
> JVM or CLR. Then you have a lot good languages to choose from.

D is the only system language with GC I can deal with. I love the
GC personally though. There's a significant difference between D
with GC and Java with GC. The VM.

> - If you can't live with JVM/CLR then you either have a very
> resource limited system or you really need every bit of
> performance. In this case you want a native language without GC.

I don't think D is EVER going to be without a GC though. 8ts very
necessary for app development... productivity and safe.

> Most of the time native language and GC is not the right
> combination.

Maybe you should look into not mixing up GC and nogc code.