Is .NET 5.0 and C# 9 a "threat" to D?

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 18:32:59 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 15:57:44 UTC, Jack wrote:
> .NET 5.0 is going to be multiplatform[1] and getting alot more
> sugax-syntax[2]. Can't this make people pick C# rather D? I'm a
> bit afraid D can gain less popularity due to that or even make
> people switch. What are your thoughts on that?
>

> [1]: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/announcing-net-5-0/
> [2]: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/c-9-0-on-the-record/

That only threat to D is itself.
There are features that need to finished and implemented.
There are language design issues that needs to be address.
The standard library needs a reviewer to prevent Pull requested
from getting stale.
D needs to focus on its consumers instead of worrying other
language development.

- Alex