Is .NET 5.0 and C# 9 a "threat" to D?

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 19:08:37 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 18:08:48 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 17:05:52 UTC, Gregor Mückl
> wrote:
>>
>> I fail to parse that question. I'm afraid. Do you mean to ask
>> whether .NET users are porting the runtime to other operating
>> systems themselves?
>>

> Yes that is what I meant and if .NET has a MIT license that
> helps.

Then again, the .NET CLR implementations that I know of are
massive beasts. Porting them is no easy tasks and I am not aware
of anyone who is doing that.

This is (part of?) the single static binary compilation project I
was referring to earlier: https://github.com/dotnet/corert

I believe that an approach like that can be retargeted to
different operating systems more easily.

>> Most of .NET is licensed under MIT. It is my understanding
>> that the entirety of the cross-platform code is released under
>> that license. I do not know whether the Windows Desktop
>> version of the runtime includes extra components that are
>> still proprietary.
>>

> You have to be careful with this one. Let's say you some
> proprietary system which which is using .NET and is MIT. Then
> you have unittests that can run on your x86 Windows PC target
> and those link in proprietary MS components, then you must buy
> a license.

This is an overview over the licenses for the .NET 5.0 Windows
Desktop Runtime:

https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/license-information-windows.md

So this is quite a mix and the most worrying part are the two
libraries under the Visual Studio License. My understanding is
that these are not free (as in beer) unless you qualify for a
Visual Studio Community license.

My understanding is that the Linux version is free of these
constraints.