Is .NET 5.0 and C# 9 a "threat" to D?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Nov 12 18:08:48 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 17:05:52 UTC, Gregor Mückl wrote:

> I fail to parse that question. I'm afraid. Do you mean to ask
> whether .NET users are porting the runtime to other operating
> systems themselves?

Yes that is what I meant and if .NET has a MIT license that helps.

> Most of .NET is licensed under MIT. It is my understanding that
> the entirety of the cross-platform code is released under that
> license. I do not know whether the Windows Desktop version of
> the runtime includes extra components that are still
> proprietary.

You have to be careful with this one. Let's say you some
proprietary system which which is using .NET and is MIT. Then you
have unittests that can run on your x86 Windows PC target and
those link in proprietary MS components, then you must buy a
license.