D Considered Harmful (Amusing Tidbit)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Nov 12 20:31:05 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 08:11:49PM +0000, starcanopy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I never noticed, but cat-v lists D as harmful
> (http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/). Of course, C++ and Java are that
> list too with some other popular languages... and Vala.

Of course D is harmful.  It has absolutely harmed my desire to work with
any other language. Every time I'm tasked with fixing C or C++ code, I
start writing and then realize that I just used a D-ism, and that
wouldn't work in C and C++.  Every time I write Java, I feel this urge
to refactor all that cumbersome boilerplate with a template, and then I
realize, oops, that's also a D-ism that isn't in Java.  After several
rounds of this, I have lost all appetite to program in any other
language than D. Every time I write in any other language, I chafe
inside wishing for this or that D feature.  D has ruined me.

If that's not harmful, I don't know what is. ;-)

Shin: (n.) A device for finding furniture in the dark.