Is .NET 5.0 and C# 9 a "threat" to D?

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 21:50:09 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 19:24:17 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 19:08:37 UTC, Gregor Mückl
> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> The question is what "free" means here. If that part contains
> GPL or LGPL parts then it might be even more useless than a
> commercial license. You can always buy a commercial license if
> you want to and if you think the price is fair and then you can
> do what you want. GPL and LGPL puts restrictions on the
> distribution including your product. What is usually the most
> deterring is that you must open up your system for tampering
> which is a no no for many products.
>
> D wins here as it is using the Boost license which is a huge
> benefit.

I wrote "free (as in beer)" for a reason above. The basic .NET
framework components don't contain anything that is licensed
under the GPL/LGPL. It's all open source, but not copyleft. The
MIT license is very liberal. You only need to reproduce the
license text somewhere in your documentation and you're good.