D Considered Harmful (Amusing Tidbit)

bachmeier no at spam.net
Thu Nov 12 22:11:25 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 12 November 2020 at 20:11:49 UTC, starcanopy wrote:
> I never noticed, but cat-v lists D as harmful
> (http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/). Of course, C++ and Java
> are that list too with some other popular languages... and Vala.

Note the explanation at the bottom: "At the moment a detailed
rationale is not provided for most of this, so figuring out why
some things are considered more or less harmful than others is
left as an exercise for the reader. Here is a hint: complexity is
the bane of all software, simplicity is the most important
quality."

That's a silly argument. C is a simple language and D is not but
who cares, unless perhaps you have to write a compiler for both
of the languages. Software written in C is much more complex than
software written in D because C is a simpler language.