Better branding of -betterC

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:19:56 UTC 2020

On Monday, 16 November 2020 at 17:46:07 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Monday, 16 November 2020 at 16:56:14 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>>
>> Thankfully we have people who think like you, so nobody uses D
>> for gamedev, despite that category being the most popular in
>> every stores
>>

> I think that is a very good observation.
> It is a huge industry and currently I believe C++ & C dominate
> when it comes to core engine stuff.
>
> I am not a games developer but I know that guys like Jonathan
> Blow would not use a language that has GC in it.
>
> My motivation for starting the Laser-D project is to make D
> attractive to those who do not want the GC even as an option.
>
> It is ironic that Walter was inspired to start his career in
> compiler tools because he wanted to write a game - I hope I am
> not remembering incorrectly!
>
> Right now is the time to try to get into this market because
> there are multiple parallel attempts to do so (Jai, Zig etc).

Is this "Laser-D" supposed to be a separate language on just a
project to document betterC?

If it's the former you may want to tread lightly because you if
you are successful you could end up seriously hurting D's
prospects in the future - probably second to people complaining
about the GC is people complaining about D having a fragmented
ecosystem (I have recently seen people mentioning Tango and D1
despite them being dead for a decade now)

If you really want to make -betterC better, there are still
noticable flaws with it - for example you still can't use
std.format at compile time in -betterC mode
(https://run.dlang.io/is/TIcgW2).