Better branding of -betterC

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Nov 16 18:56:12 UTC 2020

On Monday, 16 November 2020 at 16:56:14 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 November 2020 at 17:14:57 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Sunday, 15 November 2020 at 15:24:39 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:

>>> those who don't write games or game engines are always the
>>> ones telling you that you shouldn't care
>>>
>>> then you listen to them and you wonder why your game stutters
>>> with 50ms pauses (4frames at 60fps) every few seconds
>>
>> Then there are those that keep forgeting that there is more to
>> the game developers world than trying to crack out yet another
>> Fortnite or Crysis.
>>
>> Thankfully Markus Persson ignored opinions like yours.
>
> Thankfully we have people who think like you, so nobody uses D
> for gamedev, despite that category being the most popular in
> every stores

They use Unity, Unreal, Xenko, Monogame, CryEngine, Godot,
HoloLens UWP instead.

All of them with support for tracing GC alongside C# for various
levels go game scripting, and Unreal even uses their own C++ GC
implementation.

Ah, and then two of the major 3D APIs, namely DirectX and Metal,
make use of reference counting, which despite all cargo cult
around GC vs RC, it is a GC algorithm as per CS definiton,
chapter 5 of the renowed Garbage Collection handbook.

Have fun with your GC hate.

Do you know what? People like you used to argue against using C
and Pascal for doing games.

Then the same people, that grundgely adopted them, started to use
the same arguments against C++.

Some devs can only move forward when platform owners drag them
out of their confort zone.