Could D be used by Jonathan Blow rather jai language?

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:53:44 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 16:13:20 UTC, Jack wrote:
> So I find out jonathan Blow is devloping his own programming
> language, because "C++ is wild mess". I know pretty much
> nothing about game dev and I was wondering if D could be used
> in the way Jonathan Blow would like to? Anyone experienced on
> game dev stuff could answer this? as far I know, the jai's
> compiler is not ready yet.Maybe let him know about D language,
> assuming it fits its game needs, would be interesting?

It's funny, there seem to be a lot of gamedev people that *know*
about D, but aren't interested in using it for various reasons (I
think the primary one is probably that most/all modern game
engines are written in C++ - except Unity, which is still C++
under the hood - and the toolchains are usually geared toward C++
as well).

John Carmack mentioned its support for functional purity in an
article back in 2012:
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169296/Indepth_Functional_programming_in_C.php

And Jonathan Blow has mentioned it at least in passing before,
not to mention one of Ubisoft's development studios evaluating it
(which I don't think panned out), and D code actually shipping in
a modern AAA game (Alan Wake from Remedy Entertainment).

Manu and Ethan are the ones that are/were down in the trenches
actually using D for gamedev, but it seems to me like the
language is very well suited to it; potentially moreso than C++.
C++ has almost completely dominated that space for 20+ years,
though, so I don't think D will get big there anytime soon.