Web site look & feel

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 16:41:52 UTC 2020

On 11/23/20 1:53 AM, ddcovery wrote:

 > I noticed that kotlin, scala, typescript, rust, ... all of them take
 > care about the "first impression"

Fully agreed.

A colleague of mine showed me how impressive Rust was just yesterday. We
talked about some technical points:

* Error management
* 'match' keywoard
* And a few other technical stuff

But most of his excitement was on the user experience. He was showing me
how amazing the following was:

* Rust coding inside Visual Studio (Code?)
* How the IDE writes parts of the program
* How type annotations are displayed next to variables
* Usefulness of compilation error messages
* Other Rust tools

The problem is, personally, I care only a tiny bit about these points;
not much. And that is what I sensed from Atila during a couple of
#BeerConf conversations. For example, both of us use Emacs as IDEs and
we talked about how sub-optimal certain parts of our development
experience were but neither of us were motivated enough to do anything
about it because "it just worked" for us. Heck, I don't even know how D
feels like inside Visual Studio.

I doubt Walter personally cares about shiny IDEs either. (He uses an
Emacs-like editor, which he wrote.)

Which means, such look-and-feel topics must be championed by other people.

Having said that, part of me is screaming "people who are interested in
shiny stuff need not apply" but I am explaining to myself that it's the
wrong attitude. :/

Ali