D community roadmap

JohnT talmabogni at nedoz.com
Tue Nov 24 03:22:19 UTC 2020

First of all congrats to all D community for all their hard work.
D is one of the languages which I fell in love at first sight.
There are lot of posts in this forum about similar sentiment.  We
have really great engineers working on amazing features. What we
really need is good marketing, some polishing and a direction. D
really can be better than most other languages.Its a chicken and
egg problem. But we need more marketing/benchmarks blogs etc
where we compete with other languages on features. We should do
dedicated effort to cleanup and make language simpler.

a. We should do a survey similar to Go/Rust. And we should hear
the community of the top features we need. Even if original
designers disagree.
b. Focus should be selling our strengths like strong interop with
C/C++. Neither Go/Rust has this. D has lot more chance to shine
in this. Companies wont replace billions of C/C++ code. What we
need is incremental where they can replace and D can work with
C++. We need more effort to make easy transitions.
c. Focus on tooling/stability.
d. Benchmarking of most frequently used libraries like
json/vibe/networking etc against other languages and publish this.
e. Marketing D as both systems/scripting language with GC and non
GC with lot of articles and samples with benchmarking.
f. Interop with C/C++, faster builds, easy compared to rust are
some strengths we should market.
e. We need small working groups for networking/standard library/
server/ embedded/security/tooling etc who focus on the issues in
those domain.
g. Mentorship for folks who wish to contribute.

I know the answer is why dont you do it. Yes I would love to
help. If people define a ROADMAP where each release has issues
and features in the order of priority and its maintained
somewhere, people like us will do their small part whenever we
find free time. Its time for C/C++ to go. So far I see D as only
better option. Wish from a D fan.