About whether D / rust / golang can be popular.

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Thu Nov 26 09:19:48 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 05:46:59 UTC, zoujiaqing wrote:
> Whether a programming language can be popular depends on what?
>
> I think there are two important points, that is, killing skills
> and availability. At the same time pay attention to
> shortcomings.
>
> I'll talk about my opinion today.
>

> ## Go
> Must kill skill: Goroutine
> Availability: the standard library is powerful. IDE powerful.
> High GC efficiency. friendly debugging tracking tool. It is
> convenient to realize various functions based on standard
> library. Have practical pprof and other tools. But language
> features are too few.
>

> ## Rust
> Must kill skill: Memory Security
> Availability: The standard library is very general. IDE
> powerful. friendly debugging tracking tool. A variety of
> language features, and will be based on popularity of new
> features, such as await. Have practical pprof and other tools.
> Development efficiency of using rust is relatively low.
>

> ## D
> Must kill skill: It looks good?
> Availability: standard library is poor. Bad IDE. GC efficiency
> is low. Lack of friendly debugging tracking tools. Lack of
> pprof and other practical tools. Although the language features
> many but can not add popular practical features, such as await.
>

> ## Summary
> D language must improve usability if it is to become popular!

I assume every developer has another opinion what is the most
import thing missing in D.
(I never ever faced any performance issues with GC and I am super
satisfied with Visual Studio Code. As I also not used async/await
in other languages a lot, I also do not miss it in D). But I see
and understand from your view these points are high import.

 From my point of view the most important thing is to get the
community (all of us) to speak more loud about D. Advertise D,
create more blogs, try to get D in the company's they are
working...

(And if I have a wish free, RSA digital signature verification
natively implemented in phobos would be really great :) ).

Kind regards
Andre