About whether D / rust / golang can be popular.

ddcovery antoniocabreraperez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:38:15 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 09:19:48 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:

> I assume every developer has another opinion what is the most
> import thing missing in D.
> (I never ever faced any performance issues with GC and I am
> super satisfied with Visual Studio Code.

About GC, I use D as scripting language mainly, and never noticed
GC problems.  GC is, indeed, a must for scripting (Thanks D for
GC)

Integration in VSCode :

- "reflection/autocomplete": This is one of the most appreciated
features in development IDEs and a really good way to learn about
the language and it's existing libraries (learn on demand :-) ).
This is a must because the competence with other "similar"
productive languages that offer a powerful tool chain (Not only
Rust or Go, I consider Python and Typescript natural D
competitors).

- Debugging support:  how can I inspect structured data/objects
friendly? printing to the console or assigning properties to
temporal vars is not a productive way:  may be a good tutorial
about how to inspect in D using VSCode will be appreciated from
experienced D developers (Linux, pls :-) )... in my opinion, this
is a next DConf must!!! (Like the one in 2014).

I know I'm very reiterative with this features (you can find me
in other forum posts arguing about the same)... In my very
personal opinion, D usage will grow as soon as it will integrate
on VSCode IDE as well as typescript does. I wish I had the time
and experience to help on this particular point.

> From my point of view the most important thing is to get the
> community (all of us) to speak more loud about D. Advertise D,
> create more blogs, try to get D in the company's they are
> working...

I agree

Personally, I add references to D using any excuse :-) (in
spanish, sorry)

i.e.:
https://es.quora.com/Por-qu%C3%A9-la-mayor%C3%ADa-de-los-desarrolladores-estudian-solo-lenguajes-muy-simples-como-JavaScript-y-Python-en-lugar-de-aprender-un-lenguaje-verdadero-como-C-2/answer/Antonio-Cabrera-52