What's wrong with stability, LTS, and not fixing bugs for "compatibility".

Guillaume Piolat first.name at guess.com
Thu Oct 8 15:43:01 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 8 October 2020 at 10:37:22 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:
> "If something is painful, do it more often"; this aphorism is
> driven by the experience that doing it less often makes it
> *more* painful. We risk ending up in the D1 (Python 2, Perl 5)
> case where people don't update at all.

One idea could be, every one or two DMDFE releases, take one
-preview flag and make it the default. Else the "ideal" language
will grow further apart the language as used in the field. It is
a sort of debt.

In the times of package manager, all you have to do when your
code breaks is issue a minor tag, and dub update your
dependencies. Breaking code isn't _that_ bad in that respect.

_At the same time_, I will dread the day where builtin complexes
are removed, in a year where a particular trendy OS vendor is
giving us months of work just to make working software continue
running. Churn is _also_ annoying for industrial programmers.