What's wrong with stability, LTS, and not fixing bugs for "compatibility".

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:09:04 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 8 October 2020 at 15:43:01 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 October 2020 at 10:37:22 UTC, FeepingCreature
> wrote:
>> "If something is painful, do it more often"; this aphorism is
>> driven by the experience that doing it less often makes it
>> *more* painful. We risk ending up in the D1 (Python 2, Perl 5)
>> case where people don't update at all.
>
> One idea could be, every one or two DMDFE releases, take one
> -preview flag and make it the default. Else the "ideal"
> language will grow further apart the language as used in the
> field. It is a sort of debt.

As I understand it, the process is to add a preview switch
`-preview=feature`, gather experience, make a DIP, then after
that is accepted and some time has passed, change the feature to
be on by default and optionally reverted with `-revert=feature`.
Then after some more time, the feature is removed. I broadly
think this is a good process inasmuch as we can get to actually
carry it out.