D programming language popularity

bachmeier no at spam.net
Sun Oct 11 13:32:19 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 at 11:24:42 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> When looking for languages to learn, you have to start
> "somewhere".
>
> How do we make D part of this "somewhere"?

Why would someone use D? If the best you can do is come up with a
list of technical features of the language, you have your answer
as to why it's not on those lists. Not many people go looking for
a programming language. They're looking for a solution to a
problem.

If you want to increase popularity, write some libraries, turn
them into a good user experience, document them well, promote
them to people working in that area, and there's a small chance
you'll capture some of that niche.

The programming languages space is extremely competitive. There
will never be a "next C++" because there are way too many
alternatives these days. Something that has come up over and over
again in these discussions is making D a player for web
development. That space is beyond crowded. It's better IMO to
focus on incremental improvements rather than popularity.