D programming language popularity

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Oct 12 06:03:50 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 at 11:40:46 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 October 2020 at 11:24:42 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>>
>> https://www.simplilearn.com/best-programming-languages-start-learning-today-article
>
> Just something strange about one or two articles.
>
> Level:
>
> C – Intermediate to Advanced
> C++ – Beginner to Intermediate
>
> Shouldn't it be the other way around. C - Beginner to
> Intermediate, C++ - Intermediate to Advanced. In my mind C++ is
> a more difficult language than plain C simply because C is a
> simpler and smaller language. You might need to write more code
> and less library support out of the box but that is not the
> same as more difficult to learn.

I fail to see why.

My Portuguese university had Pascal (3 semester) and C++ (4
semester) as introduction to programming classes already back in
1993 (1 year doesn't have programming and is common to all
engineering degrees).

Everyone did quite alright on the few lectures that actually
required C, while the teachers made a good job of teaching proper
C++, with their own type safe data structures, not C with Classes.

Which was great, because none of the students was tainted with C
style unsafe code patterns.

I also worked as TA doing those classes.