Is it legal to embed dmd and Phobos into the program?

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:53:16 UTC 2020

On Friday, 30 October 2020 at 20:18:43 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> (Yes, I am aware of "DMD as a library".)
>
> Still, would it be legal to embed a dmd build environment into
> a binary to unzip it at run time to compile code as needed? To
> compile a shared library to dynamically load, from source code
> that is also embedded?L Poor person's JIT compilation? :)
>
> I am currently implementing it without the dmd part. Curious
> about whether dmd part would be legal or not.
>
> Ali
>
> P.S. What about the 'unzip' program? May I embed that as well?
> The whole OS? Ok, I started having too much fun... :)

It's all boost licensed, right? Should be fine because of that
(best leave a copyright notice just to be sure)

Unzip is probably GPL'ed if it's from Linux, but could be
distributed without source of unmodified (if your program only
works with a specific GPL'ed program then it can be in violation
of the GPL to not publish it's source but it's just a archive
manager)