Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:50:39 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 2 September 2020 at 01:49:23 UTC, Eljay wrote:
> C++ is also suffering from ceremonious syntax bloat because the
> unqualified defaults are wrong due to historical evolutionary
> reasons.)

Mastering C++ is also very timeconsuming, it relies on the
pervasive adoption it has as a framework language + regular
updates. C++20 and beyond brings large changes that are likely to
renew interest ( modules, concepts, ranges ). I believe such
changes work for C++ as compilers give developers the ability to
work with older language versions and those are being maintained.
So nobody are forced to upgrade. You can freeze your current
project on C++14 and adopt C++2a on new projects.

According to github stats, only Go and C++ appears to be growing?
Rust has been stagnant since 2014 on github?

Most languages seem to hit a plateu or a ceiling after a few
years. The dominant language in each use scenario appears to take
the long term growth. So javascript, python, go and c++ appears
to be the ones with momentum on github.