Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 06:52:06 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 2 September 2020 at 05:50:39 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> According to github stats, only Go and C++ appears to be
> growing? Rust has been stagnant since 2014 on github?

If we look at "stars", then Rust had growth from 2013 through
2018 and then it might seem to swing at a plateau of 1%. Go has a
more linear growth from 2012, but might flatten out at 10%. C++
has linear growth since 2014, reaching 7%. Too much noise to
judge smaller languages, but Julia, Crystal and Nim appears to
quickly attract a small following, but no clear growth after
that. Sadly D isn't present on this chart.

https://madnight.github.io/githut/#/stars/2020/2

Python is seeing steady growth, reaching 14%. Might be the end of
the growth curve. Java+Kotlin has been fairly stable at 11%. C#
has hit a plateau in 2019 at 3.5%. Dart quickly hit a plateau at
0.75%. Likewise, Swift had a peak in 2016 at 6%, but enthusiasm
appears to have been lost and it is flattening out at 2%.