Future of D 2.x as stable/bug fix, and what's next for D 3.x

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 10:16:28 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 2 September 2020 at 09:20:26 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> C, C++, and Rust folk (who are the bulk of the anti-GC
> community) are already firmly anti-D – I suspect no amount of
> non-GC D is going to change their minds as to what D is as a
> programming language.

I wouldn't expect people who have invested in Rust to give up on
the borrow checker, but many past and current D programmers have
one foot in C++ land.

Right now Go is cutting into both C++ and Java for light weight
servers. Creating a competing runtime is out of scope for most
languages. And heavy weight servers will not be implemented with
smaller languages (more likely to go with industry standards). If
you want to create a lightweight GC server today the most sane
business choice is Go or node.js.

There are also many small languages out there that are trying to
be suitable for that space: Crystal, Nim, V... that space is
getting crowded.

Zig appears to do a better job of distinguishing itself, e.g.
attract authors of emulators, hobby OSes etc.

(shrugs)