D Survey?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sun Sep 13 21:13:28 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 16:58:30 UTC, Jackel wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:21:52 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:05:35 UTC, Yuxuan Shui
>> wrote:

>>> Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang
>>> survey conducted by the team.
>>
>> OK how about this then: the team are very busy so you could do
>> this for them, but maybe you're not sure what questions to
>> ask. I propose you think of 10 - 15 questions and post them
>> here, ask for suggested amendments / additions. Wait a few
>> days for replies then set up the survey yourself, I think
>> (hope) lots of people will respond.
>
> There was a survey a while back but I don't really think
> anything came out of it.
>
> https://rawgit.com/wilzbach/state-of-d/master/report.html

The individual free-text answers are here:

https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018

> Of the top 5 "features that you miss", zero have been
> implemented in the time since. And in regards to struct
> initialization, almost regressed with DIP1031.

Don't forget that we got at least one of the top 10 features
(assert diagnostics - https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8517).

Also, I gave up my PR on struct initialization
(https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8460) as I believe having a
unified solution with named arguments is better for the language
(see e.g.
https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1030.md).

> The information gathered wasn't used to any meaningful way to
> direct project efforts, IIRC.

Yes, leadership ignored it almost completely.
As a simple example to show what happened, they decided to focus
on "fast code, fast" (community was
https://github.com/wilzbach/state-of-d-2018/blob/master/15a:%20How%20would%20you%20describe%20D%20in%20three%20words%3F).

> Not sure what you mean. I'd rather see an official Dlang survey
> conducted by the team.

There are no plans to do another state of D survey as the last
one failed spectacularly (i.e. information was actively ignored).