Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--Formatted String Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 1

claptrap clap at trap.com
Tue Sep 15 09:30:37 UTC 2020

On Monday, 14 September 2020 at 02:54:35 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 09:40:34 UTC, claptrap wrote:
>>
>> IE. Maybe have 4 or 5 people come up with as many solutions as
>> possible, literally just write down ideas as they come to you.
>> And then bring them all together and evaluate them. It's
>> usually the outlier ideas that can spur people to "think
>> differently" about the problem even if those outliers dont end
>> up going anywhere.
>
> Indeed, I often "think out loud" in these thread. Most of it
> goes nowhere... but every so often some piece of it endures. If
> we just instantly shot everything down instantly, we'd flush
> the gold with the dirt.

That's still not the same thing. These threads are full of
assessment and evaluation. The first reply to one of your ideas
will be someone evaluating it. That's not good for spurring more
ideas. Think like improv comedy, if after each time someone said
something there was a pause for evaluation of how funny it was,
it would kill the momentum.

To really broaden the idea search space there needs to be no
evaluation while you're generating ideas.

If that was done up front, you might have skipped 2 years of DIPs
that went nowhere? I dont know maybe there are constraints on
language design that means theres not a large space to explore.