macOS Big Sur status report

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Sep 15 10:08:05 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 at 19:51:14 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to post here to get you in touch with the future
> support of macOS Big Sur.

Thanks for looking into this.

> 1. Context
>

> Future Mac comes with "Apple Silicon" CPU that are natively
> arm64.
>
> On these system (out end of 2020), you can run both x86_64 and
> arm64 executables.
>
> As of today, a D program works unchanged under macOS Big Sur
> (11.0). It is emulated. The new processors are really fast and
> it's surprisingly painless.

I would like to add, for clarity, that macOS Big Sur runs
natively on existing Macs which runs x86-64. D works without any
problems, out of the box on these systems. This post is
specifically about the new Apple Silicon, ARM64 (AArch64).

> I'm just unaware which druntime needs to be touched: the LDC
> one or upstream?

As much as possible upstream. Hopefully it shouldn't be that much
since it works on iOS. There might be some required changes to
Phobos as well.

--
/Jacob Carlborg