Isn't `each` too much of a good thing?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 18 18:24:37 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 02:02:17PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 9/18/20 11:02 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:40:08AM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > [...]
> > > At DConf 2019 I discussed a new version of std separately with a
> > > handful of folks. Two things that all discussions had in common:
[...]
> > So where do we go from here?  What about we make itemized lists of
> > the wildly different views and see if we can find some common ground
> > that we can build on?
>
> A strong leader needs to emerge. A vague list-driven community effort
> is doomed to shuffle the rubble once again with a 2% increase in
> overall quality of the library.
>
> A good leader would have a powerful overall vision and at least one
> big specific idea.

So who will this person be?

If there are no candidates, then I'm just going to bow out, since it
will just be another vacuous hypothetical discussion that leads to no
action and no change.

<offtopic>
Perhaps this is the underlying problem with D and its community.  We're
all looking for revolutionary change, neglecting that sometimes progress
is made incrementally.  If we reject the incremental while waiting for
the revolutionary that never arrives, that's just letting the perfect
become the enemy of the good.  This would explain a lot of our problems.
Like revolutionary features that are not quite finished, features that
have gaping holes for years, and the like.  We have an awesome language
that has huge potential, but it's being let down by rough edges and lack
of polish, because good is not good enough for us, and the perfect
hasn't arrived yet, and nobody knows when (or if) it will.
</offtopic>

Be in denial for long enough, and one day you'll deny yourself of things you wish you hadn't.