GDC CI on MacOS, FreeBSD, Windows

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Sat Sep 19 00:38:02 UTC 2020

On Friday, 18 September 2020 at 14:32:15 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2020-09-18 15:46, wjoe wrote:
>> The approach I took for building, testing and creating a
>> tarball for Linux is to build a Docker container which
>> contains enough of an installation of the latest Debian with
>> all the dependencies necessary to build GDC.
>>
>> In order to move forward the next targets I want to add are
>> Mac OS, FreeBSD, and Windows (but not necessarily in that
>> order) and I want to build Docker containers for those like I
>> did for Linux.
>>
>> Which versions are relevant ?
>
> macOS and FreeBSD don't support Docker. FreeBSD has similar
> features (at least some of them) that Docker is built on. macOS
> doesn't.
>
> For macOS, DMD and LDC support 10.7 (I think). Only supporting
> 10.9 and later wouldn't be any problem, in my opinion.
>
> I know that Iain has talked about supporting GDC on macOS on
> PowerPC. That means something like 10.4, which is ancient.

Yeah, I know people who still maintain this hardware (I've even
donated a PPC Mac Xserve G5 to them!)

Newer versions of OSX just add on top of former, so there's
nothing wrong about restricting yourself to a common subset of
the available API to bind druntime to.