GDC CI on MacOS, FreeBSD, Windows

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Sep 19 06:22:44 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-19 02:38, Iain Buclaw wrote:

> Yeah, I know people who still maintain this hardware (I've even donated
> a PPC Mac Xserve G5 to them!)

There was someone posting on the Clang mailing list this year or last
year about about some issue with PowerPC. Apparently he was a MacPorts
maintainer and they have enough users for it to make sense to still
support MacPorts on PowerPC.

> Newer versions of OSX just add on top of former, so there's nothing
> wrong about restricting yourself to a common subset of the available API
> to bind druntime to.

Well, if I recall correctly, 10.4 is a bit too limiting. The Posix
support was really bad. Fortunately, 10.5 was the last version to
support running of PowerPC. That version also comes with quite a nice
set of features. Certified to be UNIX compliant (but that's only when
running Intel), support for 64-bit versions of many of the system
libraries. Objective-C 2.0.

10.6 was the last version to support Rosetta (running PowerPC binaries
emulated on Intel).

So I would say, 10.5 if you want to run PowerPC natively.

The nice thing with macOS is that you can compile on newer versions of
the OS and compile it to be backwards compatible using the
`MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET` environment variable. Just specify the
version of the OS you want to target as the value:

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6 clang main.c

--
/Jacob Carlborg