Rant time? Rant time.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:44:23 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 22 September 2020 at 07:02:15 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:
> management to speak of. I'm aiming for a sort of "D1 with
> macros" feature level right now to start. At the moment, the
> compiler massively leaks memory because I have neither GC nor
> managed memory; every array append reallocates the entire
> array. And I'm not even worrying about it, because I have about
> 66 other TODOs to handle first.

*nods* I've been pondering about using Python as an (AST-)macro
language for a test-bed for language design. There are some
upsides (and downsides) to using a well established scripting
language for meta-programming.

> I'll definitely post about it once it's more presentable. Repo
> is at https://github.com/FeepingCreature/Cx/ in case you want
> to take a look at it- though note that you can't even build it

Thanks! At a glance it looks very similar to D. You seem to keep
the class/struct distinction? (I'll look at it more closely when
I get more time.)

> (But to answer your question, I'm vaguely hoping for something
> semi-rusty with a clean separation of owning and reading
> references.)

Good choice, by «semi-rusty» I hope your intent is to allow low
level programming with back pointers can be done in a
clean-looking fashion as well.