Call to action

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Sep 24 19:00:15 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 06:09:42PM +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 September 2020 at 15:06:25 UTC, novice2 wrote:
[...]
> > But from other side, then read forum and see "ah, this this bug, i made
> > PR at 2009" and see then it still not merged... may be my language
> > barrier prevent me from understand this...
>
> Those are typically bigger PRs. When I submit small things like
> documentation or an update to a unit test, they're merged within a day
> or a few days at the most.

Yes, I recently submitted a couple of small PRs that got merged pretty
quickly.  The ones that get stuck generally have one or more of the
following challenges:

- The PR fails to pass the autotesters and CIs, and the submitter is
  slow to respond and/or not responding, so there's not much we can do
  about it;

- The changeset is large, therefore hard to review, so most reviewers
  (who are volunteers with limited free time) are less inclined to
  review them;

- The change requires expertise in a particular area to review correctly
  (e.g., deals with tricky concurrency issues, or OS details, or tricky
  pointer/memory manipulations or involves some complex spec like
  parsing some DSL, or floating-point algorithms that are tricky to
  write in a way that won't risk catastrophic loss of precision or wrong
  behaviour in corner cases).  If the area is too specialized, many
  reviewers feel unqualified to review it (probably rightly so), so it
  tends to get less attention that it should.

- The PR introduces some controversial bits of code that one or more
  reviewers may not agree on, or it breaks existing code in some way, or
  requires approval from the leadership (which generally takes a long
  time, and unfortunately requires a lot of persistence on the part of
  the submitter).

MAS = Mana Ada Sistem?