What are the prominent downsides of the D programming language?

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:52:30 UTC 2020

On 9/29/20 11:35 AM, ddcovery wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I agree, I really appreciate your point and I understand it is difficult
> to an experienced D developer to understand my point.
>
> My "difficulty" (I assume it is my problem) is when reading
> documentation about methods returning "auto"... it's hard, at the
> beginning, to transform this mentally in something I can understand
> (trying not to hide mentally the information)... D plasticity differs to
> other simplest "generics" type systems (like Scala) and you need double
> effort to understand it.
>
> An added difficulty  (that I don't know if the "swift developers" will
> suffer with xcode) is the missing of a good "autocomplete" or "type
> inference" that helps developers to understand the type that an "auto"
> function is really returning in the context of an evocation (i.e.: Right
> now, I am working with flutter/dart and vscode shows me the inferred
> type of a variable when hovering with the mouse).

I am not NEW NEW, but new enough that I remember precisely the feeling
you are describing; you are right on with respect to one of the hardest
mental barriers in the D learning curve.

This [`auto` being used to simplify complex return types; and the notion
of potentially very complex template-generated return types in general,
especially as a componetn of the stdlib] is something that I think would
improve visibility and adoption if it were explicitly addressed in
tutorials, documentation, books, etc.