What are the prominent downsides of the D programming language?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Sep 29 17:20:14 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 12:52:30PM -0400, James Blachly via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> This [`auto` being used to simplify complex return types; and the
> notion of potentially very complex template-generated return types in
> general, especially as a componetn of the stdlib] is something that I
> think would improve visibility and adoption if it were explicitly
> addressed in tutorials, documentation, books, etc.

Yeah, this needs to be addressed head-on, rather than skirted around or
deferred to the reference docs.  I think a lot of newcomers to D
wouldn't have the concept of opaque types that they don't need to know
explicitly yet can use effectively.  That's a pretty advanced concept
rarely found in other languages; it would do a lot of good to explain
this concept right from the get-go.

The most powerful one-line C program: #include "/dev/tty" -- IOCCC