Voting for forum posts

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Apr 1 14:25:09 UTC 2021

On 4/1/21 4:40 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:26:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I wonder how difficult it would be to add a voting system for forum
>> messages. Votes wouldn't be available in the NNTP interface but would
>> be accessible in the Web interface and would allow sorting and
>> filtering by votes.
>>
>> cc Vladimir :o)
>
> This idea did come up before, and is controversial as others have
> pointed out. My personal thoughts about this today are:
>
> - Downvotes are not nice to receive and in general carry bad vibes.
>
> - Sorting or filtering by votes creates unhealthy incentives - there is
> now a system which would be advantageous to "game".
>
> - Having a way to publicly communicate agreement or appreciation with a
> post without all the bulky noise associated with a reply might be nice.
> Good vibes only!
>
> - The only way I can think of to translate the votes to the NNTP/email
> medium is either converting them to messages which have nothing but a +1
> (which is very spammy), or not doing it at all. Neither is ideal.
>
> - Different people engage with the community with different attitudes
> and expectations. I'm not sure how much sense it would make to flatten
> this to a single number.
>
> - In any case, at the moment we seem to be doing okay, at least as far
> as people intentionally participating in unconstructive ways.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. And also your recent work on post
formatting is just amazing. Great stuff!

I appreciate your nuanced take as I was a bit taken aback by the blanket
statement that voting is bad, which I find anachronistic in a "don't use
cars because accidents" way. Proposal got downvoted as it were :o).

I agree that an upvote-only system similar to Twitter and Facebook would
be nice to signal content that people find valuable. (Anecdote: A
"dislike" button has been the top requested feature for Facebook for
years. And not only casually by the users; entire business propositions
have been made based on that. I'm glad they were not accepted.)

As to the NNTP integration, I was thinking the voting could be a
web-only feature. Which is nice because it encourages people to swap to
the modern web interface (he wrote, typing furiously in his Thunderbird
window). Perhaps do the converse instead, if a post is just a +1 with no
other added content, convert it to a vote.

No filtering or sorting by popularity would be needed, probably for
years. Just a little heart out there with the number of votes would add
great value.

Thanks for engaging.