Time to move std.experimental.checkedint to std.checkedint ?

Guillaume Piolat first.name at spam.org
Sat Apr 3 09:09:33 UTC 2021

On Friday, 2 April 2021 at 20:56:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> I'm not preventing anyone from adding integer overflow
> detection to D. Feel free to make a prototype and we can all
> evaluate it.

Seems to be a bit like bounds checks (less obvious benefits), it
could be made default but disabled in -b release-nobounds

Even while being opt-out, bounds check are annoying in D because
with DUB you typically profile a program built with dub -b
release-debug and that _includes_ bounds checks! So I routinely
profile programs that aren't like the actual output.

So, integer overflow checks would - in practice - further hinder
capacity to profile programs.