Rebrand GC as "automatic memory leak detection and cleanup"

James Lu jamtlu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 14:18:27 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 13 April 2021 at 11:41:05 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Lockheed Martin reviewed various options for the Aegis Open
>> Architecture including the programming language and execution
>> environment for the system.  In their experiments, they found
>> that HotSpot Java code ran comparable to C++ on an
>> experimental 250 millisecond periodic workload.

Every 250ms isn't what I'd call "realtime."

My application must run every 16ms. There were 4 major heap
garbage generation points. This made the application extremely
annoying to use and was a dealbreaker.

> People that care about safety and real time GC don't need
> renaming to be convinced,
>
> Naturally that won't change the mind of the anti-GC folks.

This isn't for people who "care about safety and realtime GC."
This is
for anti-GC folks. If we don't call it "GC", they won't hate it.
People
aren't rational.