Tasks, actors and garbage collection

russhy russhy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 16:28:46 UTC 2021

GC is not the right model if you don't have the same ressources
as Microsoft / Google / Oracle to invest massively on GC R&D,
there is no way D can comepte with the latest Java's sub 1ms GC,
no way

IMHO, Apple made the right decision to go with a RC with Swift,
like they did with Obj-C

D's future is with memory ownership / reference counting

The more we stick to the GC, the more we'll have to play catchup
with the competition

Even GO's GC is starting to become a negative amongst certain
users
https://blog.discord.com/why-discord-is-switching-from-go-to-rust-a190bbca2b1f

We need to transition to RC instead of GC, the sooner, the better

I know people like the GC, i do too, but in its current state it
is absolute garbage when you compare to the competition

Again, the more we fill the STD library with GC code, the faster
we'll get shadowed by the competition