Tasks, actors and garbage collection

russhy russhy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 01:17:45 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 21 April 2021 at 01:00:59 UTC, TheGag96 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 16:28:46 UTC, russhy wrote:
>> We need to transition to RC instead of GC, the sooner, the
>> better
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't we be just going from one form of
> memory management people find slow to another? And a kind we
> know is *particularly* slow (even if more predictable)? It
> seems to me that the really anti-GC crowd (or the portion of it
> that I know of - the Handmade / game dev group) doesn't want GC
> nor RC, but instead something way more C-like, with custom
> allocators and such. I think that's what languages like Zig
> that sprang up out of nowhere are suddenly taking off and why
> there's still anticipation for Jai nearly 7 years later.
>
> I do kind of agree that maybe a D3 is what's needed in order to
> have a clean rethinking and uncrufting of the language. I've
> been feeling that despite D's amazing features and upsides,
> something just isn't clicking with people. Since I became an
> avid D fan many years ago, most programmers I talk to have
> never heard of it, and the situation has not gotten better over
> time.

I mixed things with the Swift analogy i used earlier my bad, i
meant the IAllocator driven APIs, need to allocate? one want GC
in their program? fine provide the GCAllocator, but don't enforce
it to everyone

And i agree with you, that is the perfect opportunity for a D3
vision, and that's where the sooner the better make sense,
because just like you said, there is a need for a modern C
*alternative*

>  I've been feeling that despite D's amazing features and
> upsides, something just isn't clicking with people.

The experience i have with this was always the GC