GNU Make fork with D support

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 17:29:06 UTC 2021

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 16:37:15 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Regardless, I am not saying that you should not attempt to get
> this merged upstream--but in the interim, I think most D
> programmers would find it much easier to download and `include`
> a makefile fragment than to install an entire separate version
> of `make` from source.

+1

My impression of `make` was that it's generating generic target
files using generic shell commands with generic files as input. I
didn't know there was special support for languages. That being
the case, my preference would be:

1. upstream native support
2. additional file with rules for D
3. special D version of `make`

The problem with a separate executable is that it's not only
extra work for me as the author of a project, but I have to ask
everyone else who wants to build my code to also install it,
while a `dlang.mk` can be checked in so the extra work is only
done once.

In any case, thanks for this work Brian! I hope you can get this
upstream.