Tasks, actors and garbage collection

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:30:04 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 at 13:29:43 UTC, evilrat wrote:
> And the most important thing - you are free to manage the
> memory what ever way you want!

That's kinda irrelevant. You can say that for basically any
language with a C-bridge. Doesn't mean it is cost efficient. If
it isn't cost efficient, then it isn't competitive. If it isn't
competitive then it isn't interesting.

And as far as C#/Java/Go goes, D is not going to get memory
barriers and is therefore going to freeze or significantly slow
down execution for any reasonable collection scheme during
collection. (I don't consider fork() reasonable.)

So any argument based on what people do with a GC in C#/Java/Go
is irrelevant for D.

Can we please focus this discussion on getting a competitive
memory management scheme?  Reverting to C is not a competitive
option.