Voting for forum posts

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:28:24 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:59:44 UTC, matheus wrote:
> Well I don't agree with this, SO voting system isn't that good
> at all. It was already debatable on HN and in different medias
> too.
>
> For example, it's common to see that in different cases the
> most up voted answer is "not" the "best answer".

Yep. Often the most recent answer is the best one on Stack
Overflow... What SO does reasonably well is classifying topics,
but frequently the same topic is covered in multiple places, hard
to fix.

For languages that are used by people without formal education in
programming (e.g. javascript) the most voted answer on SO tend to
be not very good, and cute hacks would be promoted.

You sometimes see this in the D forums too. Cute language hacks
that makes code unreadable are popular in the D forums!

For languages that are evolving (like C++) the most voted answer
tend to be counter productive and convoluted... meaning you get
an answer to solve something in a complicated way that there is a
better to do in the most recent version of the language.