Voting for forum posts

Q. Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:56:37 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:59:44 UTC, matheus wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 April 2021 at 14:33:43 UTC, Q. Schroll wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:40:15 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
>> wrote:
>>> Online voting is emotionally toxic and logically fallacious.
>>
>> You're wrong, like really wrong. If that were true,
>> [SO](https://stackoverflow.com) should be the pinnacle of
>> emotionally toxic and logically fallacious posts when it comes
>> to programming topics, but it's exactly the contrary: SO is
>> one of the best if not *the* best resource for programming
>> questions — and I'd claim it is because of their voting
>> system and not in spite of it.
>
> Well I don't agree with this, SO voting system isn't that good
> at all. It was already debatable on HN and in different medias
> too.
>
> For example, it's common to see that in different cases the
> most up voted answer is "not" the "best answer".

I don't think we disagree, you just got me wrong. People's votes
aren't perfect, everyone knows that.
I experienced it myself that not the accepted/highest-score
answer, but the answer with the second or third highest score was
most helpful to me. I never said SO's voting system is the best
voting system there is, I said that SO *has* a voting system and
SO (not its voting system) is generally considered the best
resource for programming questions, which is an indication that a
voting system on a programming forum might not be as harmful as
people here expect.

I have no idea what HN stands for.