Seems, almost all "mesonified" packages broken?

Denis Feklushkin denis.feklushin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 03:16:17 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 8 August 2021 at 18:08:36 UTC, Basile.B wrote:

> the main problem, at least for the packages maintained by the
> dlang-community entity, was that nobody cared about Meson

This case solvable by Meson "patching" capability, with it we can
maintain our own additional meson.build files outside from
official repository.

After release of new version of package it will be need only
replace link/branch/tag inside of .wrap file in most cases.

> (there was no dedidcated PR for example) excepted when the CI
> stopped working, which happened some times to times. So people
> forgot to update the version numbers...

Yep, and we can do this too.

(Or we can just ignore versions at all: SemVer is good for
distribution packages, but I think SemVer concept for software
dependencies failed - minor changes  often break compatibility.
This is a separate issue.)

> the root dependencies worked still

I tried to use vibe.d recently - it wants to build unnnecessary
libraries and reports esoteric errors about [git-redirect]

> DUB worked just fine. There's alternatively the makefiles + git

But makefiles isn't alternative to Meson: if community has made
almost non-usable Meson scripts (Meson specially designed as
Turing-incomplete language!), then, in my opinion, any makefile
larger than 100 lines quickly turns into a disaster.