Seems, almost all "mesonified" packages broken?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 16:31:23 UTC 2021

On 8/8/21 5:06 AM, Denis Feklushkin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Previously I seen meson.build files in some of popular and frequently
> used packages (mir-core, vibe, etc.)
>
> Now I tried to compile some of my packages with Meson build system and
> this is almost impossible!
>
> meson.build files contains constructions like:
>
> ```meson
> some_dep = declare_dependency(
>      link_with: some_lib, # IMHO, library should be created from
> dependency(s)
>      include_directories: src_dir,
>      dependencies: some_deps,
> )
> ```
>
> and:
>
> ```meson
> pkgc = import('pkgconfig') # Why we need this if we moving to pure Meson?
> pkgc.generate(...)
> ```
>
> Perhaps I do not understand Meson spirit, but it seems that all these
> files are poisoned and it is easier to write them from scratch than to
> fix them.

I can say from experience, someone came into my projects (std.io and
iopipe) and proposed meson build files. I didn't understand it, but I
incorporated it.

The one thing I can't stand about it (and it makes me want to just
discontinue support) is that meson requires manual updating of version
numbers in the build file.

I forget frequently to update that number, so then it breaks. Not using
it, I don't really want to deal with that kind of headache.

-Steve