Seems, almost all "mesonified" packages broken?

Denis Feklushkin denis.feklushin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 02:48:21 UTC 2021

On Monday, 9 August 2021 at 17:27:37 UTC, Alexandru Ermicioi
wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 August 2021 at 14:15:23 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 8 August 2021 at 09:06:30 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
>> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>

>> Also I propose to everyone interested in Meson join into team
>> on Github and create Meson wraps/forks for all needed
>> packages: https://github.com/D-meson/
>
> Would not be better to make a dub plugin that auto-generates
> meson build files out dub config?

As I understand, dub plugin system generates only for particular
config what selected for current build. But meson.build files
should cover all dub abilities simultaneously.

Here is unfinished CLI tool what uses dub as library and tries to
convert whole dub script:
https://github.com/denizzzka/dub2meson/

It already can help to create skeleton of meson.build (it is
boring to add all of these sources manually for mature projects)

This tool will not be prefect after finishing - Meson is more
flexible whan dub, mechanic dub->meson conversion will give us
not very quality meson.build files from point of view of
Meson-envolved persons.

> Having this in dub, it would be possible to then auto generate
> for all packages meson build files.
>
> A meson plugin for dub config would also work.

For very simple projects only, because used by this way packages
will not be able use Meson. For example, you won't be able to
pass from Meson some tricky flag to some object file. Meson as a
GNU license, it is pretty viral.