Seems, almost all "mesonified" packages broken?

Denis Feklushkin denis.feklushin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 10:00:43 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 10 August 2021 at 08:08:50 UTC, Alexandru Ermicioi
wrote:

>> As I understand, dub plugin system generates only for
>> particular config what selected for current build. But
>> meson.build files should cover all dub abilities
>> simultaneously.
>
> The idea I had was, for a plugin that on deploy to package
> registry would then generate by default meson build files, and
> when fetched by dub on your local machine you'd already have
> everything set up for meson projects.

I doubt the generated files will be good. Roughly, they will
repeat dub capabilities, and only.

We might as well just keep using dub or improve already
implemented D module inside of Meson.

>> For very simple projects only, because used by this way
>> packages will not be able use Meson. For example, you won't be
>> able to pass from Meson some tricky flag to some object file.
>> Meson as a GNU license, it is pretty viral.
>
> Well, I doubt every person using meson or any other build
> system would jump into changing stuff in libraries used in the
> project.

I am on strongly opposite opinion. Any code that you cannot
change dies very quickly.

> The point of build systems and package managers is just to say
> 'I want this, and don't bother me setting every piece by
> myself', hence having a plugin for meson that knows how to
> convert dub libs at runtime to smth understandable for meson,

Such plugin is already implemented in Meson:

https://mesonbuild.com/D.html#integrating-with-dub
https://mesonbuild.com/Dependencies.html#some-notes-on-dub

> would be (imho) far more useful, and would cover all dub libs
> by default. If someone though would want to 'pass special flag'
> then I guess he can fallback to old way of doing everything
> with your hands, or the plugin can itself help with parts of it
> as you've mentioned.

Oh no! I've done it so often and a lot! But after the Meson I do
not want to return to this horror.

> Note, that I don't use meson at all, so not sure if it is
> possible to have plugins for dub, though if possible, then it
> would be imho better thing to make compared to wrapper
> packages. Just wanted to suggest you some ideas for
> consideration.
>
> Also what has gpl license have to do with meson plugin? Per my
> understanding it would be meson application that would use your
> plugin not in reverse, so you should be able to have any
> license you want.

An unfortunate analogy
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_license)

If you have already started using a Meson, then all the
dependencies are better, let them also be Meson as possible.