D's tail

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl dominikus at scherkl.de
Tue Aug 10 14:18:47 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 10 August 2021 at 00:53:29 UTC, Brian Tiffin wrote:
> How long do you expect your D programs to last?

Forever.

> How long do you think the D system should support your source
> code?

Forever.

> D is 20+ now, but how long is its tail?  Meaning, if you found
> D code from 19 years ago, would you expect it to compile today,
> with a current compiler?

No. But with a compiler from then.
-> your code should mention the version of D it is supposed to be
compiled with.
If it's not too old, I would expect to be able to update the
source code to compile with a current compiler without much
effort.
Of course it gets more complicated with every library involved...