[Semi-OT] On the topic of build tools

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 09:02:58 UTC 2021

On Friday, 20 August 2021 at 16:43:10 UTC, SealabJaster wrote:
> On Monday, 16 August 2021 at 01:14:22 UTC, SealabJaster wrote:
>
> idk if anyone else _also_ has this problem, but does anyone
> else feel like they're a literal addict to coding, in a bad way?
>
> It's been really bad for me the last few weeks, where instead
> of studying, exercising, or doing anything that isn't coding,
> I'll just spend days tapping away at completely useless
> projects that don't see the light of day just to get my "fix"
> of problem solving/whatever it is my brain wants.
>
> And then you hit a wall where there's nothing you're working on
> that satisfies your brain's hunger. You're not working on
> anything hard, or useful, or meaningful, and so the feelings
> just fester and bring your down that you can't satisfy your
> urges to make things.
>
> It does sound ridiculous, but it's an honest issue I'm facing,
> and was just wondering if anyone else experiences this.

I understand this, and from my own experience I've found that I
like to distract myself with tasks like this when I'm trying to
avoid thinking about or dealing with some unpleasantness in my
life, which maybe I'm not even fully conscious of. The
concentration of thinking takes away the danger of having to
contemplate the unpleasant thing that we don't want to face or
think about.