String interpolation, after a healthy debate on discord

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Dec 14 13:58:26 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 December 2021 at 12:29:57 UTC, rumbu wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 December 2021 at 11:14:03 UTC, zjh wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 14 December 2021 at 09:50:15 UTC, bauss wrote:
>>
>>> It's ultimately D's downfall that features are too complex.
>>
>> Is d as complex as `C++`?
>
> There are around 90 keywords in C++ 20, from which 11 are
> alternative names for operators. There are rare cases when a
> keyword in C++ can have  a different meaning depending of the
> context.
>
> We have 100 keywords in D and many of them have multiple
> meanings (scope, static, if, is, in, out, const, do, enum,
> return)
>
> C++ is not necessary a complex language, STL usage and
> associated idioms makes it complex. If you look at some C++
> code before Stepanov stepped in, it looks really nice and
> comprehensible :)

The saying about C++ has always been that it's a nice language if
you stick to a subset of its features. The problem is that
everyone needs a different subset. I personally don't have a
problem with D's complexity since it's easy to ignore most of the
language. The other problem I had with C++ was the need to be a
language lawyer. You really have to understand the complete
specification of the features you're using to avoid having it
blow up on you. You can't easily program in C++ without a shelf
full of Scott Myers books. I don't feel that way with D.