[OT] C# can do all the interpolated strings now

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 14:49:42 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 December 2021 at 14:24:44 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> Given Adam's considerable assistance to beginners in Discord
> and elsewhere, perhaps more than anyone else in the forums, I
> find this a wildly inaccurate comment as well.

He was dismissive when I pointed out that this DIP not be ideal
for newbies, he took a pro-enthusiast stance. That's ok, but that
is a pattern in the evolution of D that makes the language less
accessible. It is driven by the most enthusiastic crowd.

> Factually, no.  D is already an alternative to C++ for some of
> us.  Could it be a stronger alternative to C++?  Sure, but it
> is and can be much more than that.

It is an alternative if you don't need frameworks, but in order
to get enough people working with, to get a solid eco-system, you
have to reach outside the enthusiast fold.

There is nothing wrong with a language for enthusiasts, by
enthusiasts, but it is a fairly narrow segment.

D as a whole is gradually narrowing down into that enthusiasts'
fold.