New to D. First impression not good.

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Thu Dec 23 18:17:18 UTC 2021

Your use case is highly specific, and incredibly rare (for us anyway).

So dmd did use to be make based for building, this isn't the best
solution especially when we now need to bootstrap as we are self hosting
now.

None of that matters today however, due to the fact that dmd is now
written in D. You have to already have a working D compiler to build it.
Boot strapping allows us to get from a c++ version to the current D one.
That is a key feature of the build.d file.

But in saying all this, you probably just want to use gdc. Its part of
gcc, so if you have got gcc working, gdc shouldn't be too big of a
stretch to add to your list.

Once you have the compiler building, then its just a matter of getting
the runtime + standard library working with musl if its not already.